Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

James Henstridge <james daa com au> writes:
> Both KDE and GNOME use .desktop files.  This is an agreed upon
> standard, available from FreeDesktop.org:
>    http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec.html

Yeah, I know. They're very nice and they're still useful, but they
don't do the exact same thing as debian menu entries (unless I'm
mistaken). Debian has a policy of in which menu category an
application should go, with very little overlap. That's what I missed
in gnome 1.4.

(I'm going to do a new install of gnome 2 soon and take a look on this
in more detail.)

> Some portions of the Debian menu layout look a bit suspect (a submenu
> listing the window managers installed on the system?).

You don't like that? Fair enough.

Listen, I didn't mean to cause a fuss or anything like that, I was
just shouting of a little "I wish".

Maybe some real debhead could deal with this better than I do - (is
someone going to take this up on debian-devel or should I suggest it
there?).

Integration of .desktop and menu-entries, improving the
internationalization support... is there work in debian on this?

Sunnan