Re: Reducing the number of special uris in gnome

Sunnanvind Fenderson wrote:

James Henstridge <james daa com au> writes:
Both KDE and GNOME use .desktop files.  This is an agreed upon
standard, available from FreeDesktop.org:
  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec.html

Yeah, I know. They're very nice and they're still useful, but they
don't do the exact same thing as debian menu entries (unless I'm
mistaken). Debian has a policy of in which menu category an
application should go, with very little overlap. That's what I missed
in gnome 1.4.

(I'm going to do a new install of gnome 2 soon and take a look on this
in more detail.)
In GNOME 2.0, we have a Categories line in the desktop file listing a number of keywords that describe the application. There is then a vfolder-info file that describes the menu structure. Each submenu defined in the vfolder-info file has a set of conditions used to select what items appear (for instance, the games submenu selects menu items with the "Application" and "Game" keywords).

Some portions of the Debian menu layout look a bit suspect (a submenu
listing the window managers installed on the system?).

You don't like that? Fair enough.

Well, if window managers should be visible anywhere in the menus, it should be in a window manager selection control panel. I can't see how you would start a new window manager in such a way that it will work in all cases. Most window managers don't handle new WMs acquiring the window manager selection properly (in which case they are supposed to exit). Exec()'ing the new WM (so that it replaces the old WM) won't work if some process other than the WM is displaying the menus.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au              | Linux.conf.au 2003 Call for Papers out
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/ |   http://conf.linux.org.au/cfp.html