Re: Connect to Server feature

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 03:47, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> writes:
> > Apart from the fact that putting it in the run dialog doesn't work you
> > mean ? ;)
>
> It should, though.
>
> > > Maybe instead of network: it should be shares: or something? And the
> > > menu item "Open File Shares" or "Open Shared Disks" or something like
> > > that. Or "Open Location" more generally?
> >
> > It's for iDisks, samba shares, ftp sites, and whatever file sharing you
> > fancy.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is why a fileshare-specific dialog, instead of
> just a general URL-opener.

Because you can then assume that Nautilus will be the application to
browse this. And some vendors could modify this very easily to mount
shares, rather than just browse them with nautilus.

> > > Maybe a "Shared Files" link next to Home Folder in applications:, or
> > > in start-here, would be a better way to do the browsing?
> >
> > Adding new shortcuts would still be painful.
>
> So the point of the dialog is a quick way to add entries to network:?
>
> If you aren't using the menu panel, how do you add entries to
> network:?  Should there be a prefs dialog, or a Nautilus menu item?

It also appears in the gnome "foot" menu. (Although I just noticed it
has the wrong label, need to fix that).

> > To me, it makes more sense as an action than a location.
>
> I'm not sure you are seeing what I mean, I'm saying, why isn't the
> action a general "Open Location"
>
> Also shouldn't network: be more pervasive in the UI, and if so
> shouldn't we think through how that will work.
>
> Don't we need a favorites/bookmarks feature? How does that fit in
> here?

No clue.

> Don't misunderstand, the feature seems like the right idea, but I'd
> like to have a vision of the whole big picture.

Ok. I'd hate having my normal web bookmarks in the middle of my
file-share bookmarks, but that's just me.

Cheers

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net