Re: Connect to Server feature

On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 15:19, James Henstridge wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 04:56, James Henstridge wrote:
> >
> >>This sounds very similar to the Windows "My Network Places" virtual
> >>folder (hate the name, but like the functionality).  It is basically a
> >>way to store links to often used file shares, computers, webdav servers,
> >>etc.  To add a link/shortcut into the network places folder on windows,
> >>there is an "Add network place" icon in the folder itself, which is nice
> >>as it associates the action of adding the icons with the window where
> >>the icon will appear.  Maybe this would be a good idea for hadess's
> >>network: folder.
> >>

> >It's the same, except that here you add the shortcuts from the dialog,
> >not from nautilus.
> >
> There is a dialog on Windows too.  I was talking about the way that the
> dialog is launched (on windows, by double clicking on the "add network
> place" icon).  It may be worth doing something similar here (and would
> solve hp's concern about dependence on the menu panel).

And how do you get to this view then ? I must say that I find things
like start-here: pretty useless. Here the entry point was pretty easy to
find, and it show in both the menu panel, and normal panels with the
foot menu.

What could be done is:
- remove "Connect to server..." icon from the menu
- add a "My Network places" to the applications menu (underneath "Home
Folder"). It would launch network:
- A launcher in network: would launch the "Connect to server" dialog
sans Browse button.

And that's it. What do you think ? Havoc ?

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net