Re: nautilus vs. gnome-settings-daemon "race"

On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 19:10, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Jacob,
>
> On 16 Jul 2002, jacob berkman wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-07-16 at 01:57, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > > Hi Jacob,

> > 2.  it would still be nice to be able to tell gsd that we are going to
> > run nautilus so that it doesn't do the background stuff if nautilus is
> > just going to do it in a few seconds.
>
> 	Well sure, but not this way - gnome-session should not be
> special casing clients. I think the simplest solution should be that
> g-s-d does not draw the background unless specifically enabled. I
> *think* this is what /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background is
> for ? If so, why not just have this off by default, and if some
> decides to turn nautilus drawing the backround off, then they turn this
> on ..

ok, so it's possible for that key to be set but for nautilus to not be
desired by the user.

so i think to myself, "is that going to happen much?" and then i think
of people whining that nautilus is slow/etc. and the answer is, "just
uncheck that toggle and close your nautilus windows..."

and then just checking the key works just fine...

so, are we ok with telling people if they want to have their background
set but don't want to run nautilus to uncheck that toggle button?

sigh; if gnome were one big program this would be easier.

 - jacob