Re: GNOME 2.0 feedback

Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:

> On 23 Jul 2002, Calum Benson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-07-23 at 15:33, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > > Another thing that may help the usability of the pager would be if the
> > > window you moused over prelighted in the pager. This way it might be
> > > easier to pick the right window. Right now it can be hard for small
> > > windows.
> > >
> > > Some sort of zooming would perhaps work too, but it sounds a bit hard to
> > > get right. I mean, where do you zoom it to? and when?
> >
> > Before do anything to it, I'd be wanting to know how many people
> > actually want to move their windows around in such a small space (even
> > between workspaces) and why, when there are quicker and easier ways
> > available...
>
> I use it to move windows between workspaces because it gives me a visual
> indication of where i'm gonna move the window. It means i don't have to
> calculate the number of the workspace i need to drop the window in and
> then look for the right workspace name in the menu.

It is actaully very common for me to move a window to a different workspace
than want to reposition it. That's one thing that it annoying to me about
not being able to do individual positioning.

On the other hand, it does reduce the need for fine-positioning a lot.

I think the current behavior would be OK if an outline was left behind
(or you dragged an outline, but dragging an outline, I think, would
feel less "solid" and have lower visibility than dragging the window
and leaving the outline behind.)

> Alt-drag and then switch workspace using the keyboard works used to work
> in metacity, and it's pretty quick, but that was lost when the Alt-Fx
> keybindings were removed.

You are a brave man to run without restoring those keybindings ...
I don't think I could handle that.

Regards,
                                        Owen