Re: Preferred Applications dialog (+ PATCH)

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 17:37, Frank Worsley wrote:
> Hi Jacob,
>

> > this was intentional.  if you did cvs annotate you'd pick that up ;)
> >

> Umm...why would that be intentional? If it was then there should be no
> 'http' url handler key.

you have a 'dirty' gconf database.  if you installed cleanly gnome 2.0
it should work correctly.  if there is a http key in the .schemas file
then that is a bug.

> I never used cvs annotate before and why would
> it be useful for this?

it'd show you the revision that that line went in, and you could see the
changelog for that and see why.  but yeah that's a bit involved.

> > however i think the implementation of gnome_url_show() should be
> > completely gutted.  we should just be doing the show_document() from the
> > gnome-run patch and base what we are opening on the mime type rather
> > than the protocol.
>
> I agree that we need a show_document() function. However there is still
> the problem with http uris which you would normally want to open in your
> browser.

what is wrong with opening images in eog, or text files in gedit?

i don't really want to view much in my web browser other than html,
regardless of the protocol.

>  If you have a show_document() function you would need a
> preference like "Always open HTTP urls in my default browser".

why do i want to open a gnumeric file in my web browser?

why do i want to open an image in my web browser?

> The problem is that a URL like http://www.gnome.org/ would open in
> Nautilus since it is a directory, but is that really what you want?

it's not a directory, it's text/html:

        Connected to www.gnome.org.
        Escape character is '^]'.
        HEAD / HTTP/1.0