Re: GNOME 2.0.0 Desktop Release Notes Contributions

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 09:23:12PM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The release team is looking for contributions to the G2D release notes.
> These are the things that are read by everyone who doesn't know all the
> behind-the-scenes gumpf. Thus, they have to be informative and useful.

I have already sent these two to Telsa, so the relase team should already have
them, but to avoid duplication of effort...

(1) For people with NFS-mounted $HOME directories, you cannot drag files from
the Nautilus view windows to the trashcan (you get an error about the trash
file not being a directory). You can still delete files by selecting and then
pressing the <Del> key, or by context-clicking on the item in question and
selecting "send to trash" (bug #82644)

(2) GNOME 2 uses $HOME/.gnome2 and $HOME/.gnome2_private as directories for
storing stuff. However, you cannot completely remove $HOME/.gnome, since
gnome-vfs needs it and does not create it, so any modifications that gnome-vfs
needs to save in the user's directory will not be saved. Thus, users need to
create a $HOME/.gnome directory before starting GNOME 2. This will particularly
affect people doing an install on a clean system or those who have removed
.gnome to get around some upgrade problems. This will be fixed in 2.0.1 (bug
#84183).

Malcolm