Re: resetting prefs

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 05:12:58PM -0400, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 17:19, textshell neutronstar dyndns org wrote:
> > Give people at least some way make good bug reports. Yes we would have to tell
> > the user the name of the renamed directory then, but just making it an non dot
> > file (eg. saved_gnome_settings%u) might be enough too.
>
> Please don't make folder and files that shouldn't be changed in everyday
> use non dot files. Basic users will probably end up trying to delete
> files and folders that they don't associate with (i can imagine the
> headaches this could cause), and advance users who use $home as the
> desktop will get pretty annoyed as well.

Your right, but in this case it would be save to delete this directory and the
user would be told what is is. I did propose a non dot file so we have a bigger
prohability that the user reclaims the space needed by the old config files if
he is sure he don't need them anymore.
I think in this case it is ok to use a non dot file.

Martin H.