Re: GNOME Desktop Version String

Hi,

Luis Villa wrote:

> So, umm... what is a gnome desktop version, exactly? What would, say,
> the string/number for what Ximian users have right now read? What should
> it read if they update 1/2 of their gnome packages tomorrow, but, say,
> libgnome is not in the set of updates? How would this differ from
> someone who got the latest 1.4 from ftp.gnome.org? Would it differ at
> all?

Let's take an example: a Linux distrib is a set of packages, all with
different numbering schemes.
I have a Red Hat Linux box here, /etc/redhat-release says its
"Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)" even though I updated quite
a few packages.

On a Solaris machine /etc/release says:

                       Solaris 8 10/00 s28s_u2wos_11b SPARC
           Copyright 2000 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                            Assembled 31 August 2000

This is replaced when I install an update.  It won't change if I install
individual patches or packages but at least it gives a basic
idea.  In an auto-update system I guess you could replace this file
anytime the user updates to the latest.  It could say something like
"Ximian GNOME 2.0\nLast updated 13 June 2002".

Laca