Re: Default WM theme settings

Calum Benson wrote:

We've just been talking about what our (i.e. Sun's) default window
manager theme should be when we release 2.0, and the consensus was that
while we're happy to stick with Crux, we're not keen on the default
button layout.  Mostly because it's hard to discern the window close
button amid the decoration, and that button dangerously doubles as the
window menu via right click.

We think the Crux theme with the MS Windows layout is probably more
usable for the majority of people coming to GNOME for the first time,
and we'd prefer to use that as our default.  We may also want to turn on
the "show app icon on window button" option as that gives more of an
impression that there's something clickable there-- without it, the
button is virtually invisible.  (I think these are also the default Crux
settings that Ximian use, although it's been so long since I saw an
uncustomised Ximian desktop I don't rightly remember...)

Also, with the default blue colour for the selected window highlight, you get a black cross on a dark blue background which is very difficult to make out. (unless this has changed since I tried out the default button layout -- I am using the windows style one right now). Changing the colour of the icon on any button shown on the left corner to white would probably solve this problem though.

I don't care that much what the default button layout is though.

James.