RE: Addition of two new modules under cvs.gnome.org

Hey Alex,

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Alex Larsson wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Shivram U wrote:
>
> > Hi Havoc,
> >
> > > It's fine to keeping these in CVS, but getting them into the GNOME
> > > module list will probably require an answer to the question "why
> > > didn't you just port procman to support Solaris" (for the ProcView
> > > one).
> > >
> > > Havoc
> >
> > Keeping these in CVS should be fine. This way interested developers can
> > access them and work on the same.
> > The reason i didnt port procman to support Solaris is because procman
> > depends on libgtop and i took out the dependency with gprocview.
> > Ofcourse these are still in the infancy stage and have a long way to go to
> > get into the GNOME module list.
>
> You took out the porting layer and then you expect the rest of the
> community to fix the fact that your app only works on solaris?
> Seems a bit strange to me.

	You're right, it does seem strange. But that's just because we
haven't explained ourselves very well :-)

	Okay, so we're talking about 3 apps - gperfmeter, gprocview
and system details. These are all pretty lightweight CDE apps that
have been/ are being ported to gtk. We did this instead of using
procman, because our customers are used to them and want them.

	So really, these are Sun specific but in the future if there
was interest in them from anyone outside of Sun we might port them to
Linux. And, realisticly, if we were going to do that we'd probably
make them use libgtop.

	The main reason we're putting them in GNOME cvs is in the
interests of being open, we're not trying to get them into the GNOME
module list.

	Hope that clears the issue up :-)

Good Luck,
Mark.