Re: Odditty with the panel

On Friday 03 May 2002 18:34, you wrote:

> > When I try to recreate the panel I get a segfault
>
> I normally nuke ever suspect .file in my home directory :)

Don't do that if you want to keep your settings etc.

I had a similar problem with KDE2 (basicly as gnome2 a complex system)
I suggest investigating the stuff the normal way searching for wrong file etc.
If that doesn't help, rename the dotfiles in you home directory: most likely
candiadtes are .gconf* .gnome* etc.

I renamed one at a time and then retried. Remember to kill all Programs that
might cache some settings for you, eg. gconfd*, gnome-settings-deamon,
bonobo-activation etc. If you don't know what to kill ask in the list the
other might have suggestions too.

If you know what file directory is the problem, try to investigate further.
For directories try to find the specific file that's the problem.

Then either send a mail to the list, or file a bug in bugzilla.

I think it is really important to find and file bug. If we just resort to
delete everything and start from zero, we might a well say use Windows and
reinstall for every problem.

I hope you find the bug so someone can fix it.

Martin H.

PS: in my case is was really handy to use Gnome dektop to troubelshot the KDE
problem because i could just kill everything that was part of KDE. So you
might have an easier go if use start a session with kde or something else,
and then just try to run the panel.