Re: PATCH: panel run dialog redux

Frank Worsley <fworsley shaw ca> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> attached is a patch the redesigns the panel run dialog along the lines
> of the discussion that tooks place on this list.
>
> I think the new design should be more pleasing to everyone. The main
> changes are:
>
> 1. By default always show the advanced text entry field and replace the
> 'Advanced' button with a 'Known Applications' button.
>
> 2. Pressing the 'Known Application' button will display the list of
> 'known' applications from the applications menu.
>
> 3. The list of applications is now only loaded when the button is
> pressed, resulting in a fast load time for the dialog.
>
> The only problem with the patch right now is that the window wont shrink
> in size when the applications list is hidden by pressing the button. It
> correctly grows in size when the list is first shown. Ideas anyone?
>
> Patch is attached. Screenshots are here:
> http://members.shaw.ca/fworsley/screenshots

Hi,

I applied the patch and had a couple comments:

1) You need some better padding around the whole dialog.  Also, when
   resizing the dialog you need to make sure the tree expands too.  I
   think you want to turn off the separator in the dialog, too.
   Finally, we need to pick a better default height for the list.  If
   and when this patch lands, I'll give some code to do this.

2) It might be nice to put the icon to the left of the entry.  It would
   give a bit more color to the dialog when when the list isn't showing.

3) I really think that Alex's suggestion of changing the icon to match
   that in the entry would be really nice.  It shouldn't be hard to do,
   either.

4) I think Havoc's suggestion of setting the window back to the minimum
   size when hiding the list is the right thing to do.

5) The browse button just seems to append the file picked to whatever is
   in the entry.  Also, shouldn't you default the filesel dialog to
   /usr/bin/ or something?

Thanks,
-Jonathan