Re: To quickly cut through the fog: workspaces vs. viewports

Michael Toomim <toomim cs berkeley edu> writes:
> So then, perhaps much of the argument for viewports could be rephrased as:
>
>      "We should be implementing gnome_workspaces using wm_viewports
> instead of wm_workspaces, because wm_viewports give us features X, Y,
> and Z for free, whereas we have to implement them ourselves in
> wm_workspaces."

Sure, but I don't think we have to decide anything there; it's up to
people writing the code.

My opinion is that edge flipping and arrow key shortcuts are trivial
to add to workspaces, while windows-overlapping-spaces would be
tricky, so it sort of depends on which features you really want.
Windows-not-overlapping-spaces would be a pain in the ass for
viewports. The windows overlapping or not feature is the one that
makes people give up and implement both kinds of space instead of
picking one. I just don't see how the overlapping or not issue is
important enough to be worth all the pain, personally.

Havoc