Re: launchers no longer execute in a shell

Alex Graveley <alex ximian com> writes:

> Launchers in gnome2 are no longer passed to /bin/sh.  This means that
> launchers that set environment variables or use command predicates (foo
> || bar) will no longer work.  To make it work you have to prefix with sh
> -c, and quote the whole command string.  I think this will annoy users.

The desktop spec needs to define whether the Exec= line goes to a
shell, if it doesn't, and then we need to follow the spec. So this
discussion needs to be brought up on xdg-list freedesktop org

(In general changing/extending interpretation or format of .desktop
files has to be coordinated on that list.)

Havoc