Re: menu editing status, and prelim. patch

Luis Villa <louie ximian com> writes:
> > FWIW Owen argues that menu editing is already a 'leet or admin
> > feature, so we should just have a query editor app.
>
> FWIW, 'how do I edit menus' is the single most asked question in #bugs,
> it was the most reported bug in bugzilla until we removed the menu
> item[1], and when Ximian broke it in 1.4, it was the most reported bug
> in bugzilla.ximian.com.

Right, but those people are 'leet and might even like the query-based
editor more.

> I'm unclear as
> to what the functional difference between a query editor and a full
> blown menu editor would be.

They have the same function, the query editor is just a standalone app
and exposes that a menu virtually includes "Accessories" instead of
listing each accessory explicitly. And you can do things like "add all
Graphics apps to this submenu."

If we had infinite time I guess I'd have the query editor, and a
Favorites menu. But we don't have time for either, so this is mostly
just a tangent. The Nautilus thing probably works fine.

Havoc