gnome-pim port and enhancement?

Hello.

The status of the gnome-pim module is "no port at all" or similar.
In #gnome I hear that someone _is_ porting it to gnome 2.
What is the status of gnome-pim?

I'm looking to make calendar and business card bonobo controls and some very
small and compact application using those bonobo controls. The deal is that the
application fetch data from a centralised database, sort of like GConf,
configurable from the main gnome configuration.
Modules for different sources can be added later on (jabber, ldap, etc).

The ultimate goal would be a set of bonobo controls and a simple API for
handling PIM data without having to care of backend.

I do not want to use Evolution (although code from there can be reused for
the new gnome-pim) since I think it is bloated. I use mutt want only
a centralised calendar and business card solution to use in extremely small
and compact applications, nothing more.

The idea is perhaps not that end-users use the small compact applications,
but rather that others can utilize gnome-pim as a central resource for
calendar and address book data and GUI, although I (and perhaps some others)
enjoyed the handy feeling gnomecal and gnomecard provided.

In time Evolution, and other apps, can all use gnome-pim to manage personal
information, as first intended. Perhaps I'm all wrong, but I think it might
be good. Any suggestions?

/P