Re: Fw: Incessant Horse Flogging.

On Fri, 2002-11-15 at 10:17, John Fleck wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 08:48:20AM -0700, Bowie J. Poag wrote:
> >
> > > Everything mimics something. It could be nature, a similar system, a
> > > desktop.
> >
> > Yes, but occasionally there are leaps in the evolution of those
> > systems..both in nature, and in manufacturing. Nature tries things out..
>
> This metaphor starts you down a dangerous path, but I think the metaphor still
> holds. In the vast majority of cases nature's experiments fail, leading to
> death or extinction. Innovation is relatively easy. Successful innovation is
> very hard.

I'm thinking that these things can and should be developed in parallel
as a fork (put on flame suit) to the current GNOME branch and released as
"experimental" much like the "stable" and "unstable" branches.

This way people get the best of both worlds and those ideas that testers
(yes there will be some) really like will stick.  In the mean time GNOME
can work to be a solid replacement for other desktops.

We do want a critical mass of GNOME users and new and experimental ideas
may not initially achieve critical mass.