Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

> > If nobody with access to a Sun Solaris box does the job, it won't get to
> > work better by itself.
>
> I seem to recall us trying to get GNOME to build on all Unix-like
> systems, which is part of the reason why we don't use GCC extensions,
> don't depend on funky glibc features, etc.
>
> I definitely agree that someone needs to step up and do the work, but I
> think that all too often we tend to ignore non-Linux platforms when they
> account for a fair (if dwindling) number of our users.

In theory I agree 100%  In practice, your portability code will only be as
good as the platforms you could test it on.  I'd love to test on solaris.
I don't have one.  I'm not going to buy one either.  People who ask that
GStreamer works on solaris have a legitimate demand, but we also have a
legitimate concern if we cannot get access from anyone on the planet to a
solaris box.  (Sourceforge is not an option here).

Personally, I myself am surprised that there hadn't been a solaris box for
testing for gnome developers in the past, and if there isn't, but the
companies involved feel that all of gnome 2.2 should work on solaris, then
there is 1 and only 1 logical conclusion : said companies must provide the
hardware as a service to the hackers so the hackers can provide the
service to make the code portable.

People from SUN tell me they can get something arranged by end of January,
which is a good start.  I'm just surprised I'm one of the first person to
ask ;)

BTW, I'm not using "I don't have a solaris box" as an excuse here - we are
genuinly 100% interested in testing our code on solaris.

Thomas

God how I hate myself for
still wanting her
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->