Re: New Modules in GNOME 2.2

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 01:21:20PM -0500 or thereabouts, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 12:42, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Joe Shaw">
> >
> > > GNOME is largely platform independent, so why shouldn't we consider
> > > portability a legitimate concern for including something in the desktop?
> >
> > (Butting in: It's definitely on the release team's agenda, as it has been
> > voiced as a concern of the project at large.)
>
> Excellent.  That's all I'm after.  I don't even run Solaris anyway. :)

Likewise. I'll repeat what I think I said in private mail a while
ago. I do not think we can call ourselves "portable" if we run on
five Linux distros and Solaris.

GNOME is free software and if it can run on proprietary Unixes,
we really should make sure it runs on the free Unixes which aren't
called Linux. I hope this doesn't sound too rude to anyone at
Sun, given the number of portability or otherwise things they
met :) I just think we should not sabotage half those fixes by
promptly making it less portable.

And another plug here for Malcolm Tredinnick's portability document
in gnome-docu in CVS.  If you have met something not portable and
you have a better way to do it, do send updates to it.

Telsa