Re: problem with building pango-1.0.4 and pangoxft2

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 05:49:19AM +0100, mike wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 02:36, mike wrote:
[...]
> > The only errors relate to freetype 1 and xft1 whic I dont want anyway
> >
> > snip1 xft1 stuff
> > #include <X11/Xft/XftFreetype.h>
> > configure:9776: result: no
> > configure:9780: checking X11/Xft/XftFreetype.h presence
> > configure:9787: gcc296 -E  -I/usr/include/freetype2
> > -I/usr/X11R6/include conftest.c
> > configure:9783:33: X11/Xft/XftFreetype.h: No such file or directory
> > configure:9793: $? = 1
> >
> > snip2 freetype1 stuff
> > #include <freetype/internal/tterrors.h>
> > configure:9461: result: no
> > configure:9465: checking freetype/internal/tterrors.h presence
> > configure:9472: gcc296 -E  -I/usr/include/freetype2 conftest.c
> > In file included from configure:9468:
> > /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/internal/tterrors.h:29:10: #include
> > expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
> > /usr/include/freetype2/freetype/internal/tterrors.h:36:10: #include
> > expects "FILENAME" or <FILENAME>
> >

> Is it me or is the behaviour of pango-1.04+ (and packages depending on
> it) totally broken

No, it's pretty much just you. One clue is that pango gets built by a
lot of people every day (on average) and if it broke, you would be able
to hear the screams. :-)

> 1. Pango does not build xft2 support (despite announcements that it
> does) because it looks for a file that is only present in xft1
> (xftfreetype.h)

Umm ... XftFreetype.h is part of the XFree86 development packages, not
freetype.

The error you are seeeing above shows that you have freetype 2.0.3
installed on your system (tterrors.h is only included in 2.0.3, not in
2.0.4 or later) and that there is some problem with that file. I would
suggest checking your freetype installation for problems here.

All the configure script is doing is trying to run a small program that
does #include <freetype/internal/tterrors.h> from the freetype2 (not
freetype1) headers and that include is failing due to syntax errors.

> 2. After failing to build pangoxft other packages (eg gtk+-2.0.6) look
> for ANY installed pangoxft which will be pango-1.1.1 if any, this is
> despite removing any reference to any gnome packages in .pc files (ie
> /usr/lib/pkgconfig removed from PKG_CONFIG_PATH)

You mentioned earlier that you were building a sandboxed version of
GNOME 2.0.2. So your pkg-config installed location (and the directory it
looks in) would not include any GNOME 2.1 .pc files. To make sure this
is the case try to run:

	pkg-config --modversion pango

(should be 1.0.4 or similar; not 1.1.1). If that does not return the
correct version, look at th eoutput of

	pkg-config --debug --modversion pango

to see where pkg-config is searching for the .pc files. My guess would
be that the wrong pkg-config is being run and it is accidently picking
up the pango 1.1.1 file this way ('which pkg-config' should show you
this, too).

Both of your points here look like problems with your system setup,
rather than anything wrong in Pango-land.

> It should either get built or ignored

You cannot ignore it if you depend upon it! Erroring out is the correct
thing to do in that case.

Malcolm

--
Quantum mechanics: the dreams stuff is made of.