Re: How do I switch to Sawfish??

> > > I've seen nothing in Gnome 2.0 that looks like it's complete.
> >
> > Sorry, GNOME 2 might be different from what you were expecting, or not
> > include your favourite 'features' or 'options' that 1.x did, but does not
> > rule out the fact that it's our cleanest and most stable release ever.

An important thing to realize which doesn't get said much (or maybe others
don't agree) is that Gnome 2 is a full-scale REVOLUTION.  Major
scaffolding has been massively improved, incredible thought processes have
culminated in really good guidelines, focus for the desktop, very clear
ideas of what Gnome wants to avoid in the future, bringing the
developers in line with these new ideas, and so on.

Stuff like this is HUGELY more difficult than all of the code that goes
in.  It's an incredible thing to have pulled off though, and some of the
people who use it don't often respect that fact (I'm just replying to you
Ali, since a lot of the times you make very generic disparaging comments
which make me believe that Gnome just forgot to include a few of your
favourite features, and you complain about them vehemently ;) )

Now, since this is a revolution, people who used to be part of the system
have to make a choice about if they want to move along forward or not.

Gnome 0.x seemed to be all about "let's try and make a free software GUI
desktop !"
Gnome 1.x seemed to be all about "let's think this through a little, make
some good libraries, and get some apps out"
And Gnome 2.x is all about "let's take the best of what we have done in
the past, design this thing right from the ground up, and make this work
the way we want it to be"

It often takes three times to get things right, and I think Gnome has it
right on the money this time around.

Point in proof (non-statistical, but hey), is that today an ex-collague of
mine passed by who used to rabiately hate Gnome.  At his new job, every
GUI app he writes (and he works for a very important on-line booking
service provider in Germany that handles all of the big guns)  is now
written with Gnome 2 technology.  He loves it - it's faster, it's nicer to
program with, it's (to him) a lot of things that Gnome 1.x didn't do
right.  And he's moving the whole of the company to migrate to
Linux desktops with Gnome 2.  Knowing this guy, I can only say that the
whole that is Gnome 2 is done right !

And I, for one, don't mind thanking each and every one of you
Gnome 2 developers, for a job incredibly well done.

As for Gnome 2 itself ?

Gnome 2.0 is the release that we as a community need to make, every bit of
it.  It's the release that makes app developers say, "Hey, I need to learn
this technology and start using it !". It's the release that convinces
distributions to consider Gnome 2 and push it on.  And as Jeff said, very
little features that all the developers agreed upon didn't make it into
it.  The few (beside migration) they want to put in will make it in soon.
This whole design process has been PUBLIC.

If Gnome 2 set out to "kill features, eliminate craprock and give sensible
defaults", then criticism about not implementing all of the 1.4 features
is silly.

If Gnome 2.0 doesn't do everything you want, that's OK.  Try it out, let
us know what you're missing, and if it fits the design, it will be
considered.  You don't HAVE to use it if it doesn't work for you right
now, but you can help making a Gnome that you do want to use.  Not EVERY
feature will be added, but they will be considered.

Gnome 2.2 is the release that will feature applications using Gnome 2.x
technology, better integration, and so on.  Tutorials on Gnome 2.x
technology will be written, documentation will be fleshed out, and so on.
If you care about stability (which also means "integration and desktop"
stability and "feature and menu stability") this is the one you'll want to
be using.

In short, having EVERYTHING RIGHT NOW just doesn't work ! Understand that
rule if you want to complain about missing stuff, and consider it !

> the problem is i hear sentences like these from david a couple of times
> now. to say i hear them all the time. somehow the gnome developers
> missed the point of users real needs or the users missed the point of
> what gnome should be.

That's a very broad general statement based on very little back-up.  Of
course you'll hear people complain, every change has people complaining.
People complaining is never a sign of whether the change was good or bad.
What's worse, people that don't complain don't always voice their opinion !
I think that you are at least as much missing the point of user's real
needs.

So I'd like any gnome user take the time sometimes to also thank your
developer when you ask for features or offer criticism.  Honestly, how all
of you developers keep putting up with some of the crap you get for brave
decisions you make and hard work you do, it's incredible.

So Ali, and others who like to criticize some decisions - please consider
that next time.
A sentence like
>instead wasting the         time writing useless stuff
> like HIG or GEP it would have been more              important writing
> serious programming manuals with examples

would be very discouraging to me if I was Seth or Calum or Michael -
especially since they obviously (and rightly so) care enough about it to
write this up.  And you didn't even consider there that you're not
*paying* Seth or Michael and that they have the right to work on what
*they* think is important, not what *you* think is important.

Now, for the constructive bit : why don't you take all that energy (which
I know you have) and do what *you* think is important : take a library you
want to use, learn it a little, and write a tutorial ? Settle it like a
real man or woman does ;) Because, yes, we all agree with you that
tutorials are a good thing.  Please make it happen.

Gnome 2 developers, you all rock.  I'm thankful for every day that I
feel good about not having to use Windows but still be able to get my
work done.  The proof will be in the pudding and I'll be handing out
spoons at the next gnome 2-feelgood-gettogether.

Thomas

You know the shape my breath will take before I let it out
<-*- thomas apestaart org -*->