Re: GOK Information and or Help call idea

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 19:54, Bryan Campbell wrote:
> HI. Upon reading GOK wont trap any keys as the onscreen keyboard meant to
> pass keystrokes to other programs I thought, what if I want to see Help or
> configure it? that is a real matter to me being local to the developers I
> might be early tester. My idea is that GOK show help if F1 is typed 3 times
> in a row. that makes it similar to how Sticky keys is toggled On Off by
> typing Shift 5 times in a row. It needs 5 pushes since 2 pushes of Shift
> (other modifiers also) locks them On till 1 more push turns it Off so 3
> taps could produce an unwanted change. With GOK 3 taps of F1 should be
> unique enough to call Help, and that screen could have a configure option.
> Or typing F2 3 times in a row could call only configure (hope this shows
> I'm not lock on 1 key commands [grin]). Using just F1 should do if the
> resulting screen is named "GOK Details" not Help (which I just thought of
> while writing).
>
> I thought of other approach early today, yet it is complex, but shown for
> comparison.  The latest of many macro programs http://www.macros.com I've
> run over 15 years uses all 3 modifiers plus a key to get its commands since
> almost no one would need that many macros to require a 4 key combo! Please
> see http://www.macros.com/screen.htm for examples of its 4 key commands.
> Those commands should why typing F1 3 times in a row is more in line with
> how keyboard Accessibility operates. On the 1 key item for a bit, I thought
> of it as an Option adding another way to issue given commands with the
> usual keystrokes still available. I know folks r use to things and would
> only give keyboarders an easier reach if they want it. Everything is
> Default Off just like Accessibility options. that is how Accessibility
> works so forgot to say it clearly which is my error

Bryan-

So... the problem with using something like this for help is that it is
unlikely that anyone who knows about this is going to need help. :)
Certainly, if I hit F1 once, and don't get help, I'm not going to sit
there repeatedly and hit F1 until something happens.

Given that the main gok screen has a permanently unused 'back' button,
perhaps that could be changed to a help button?

Luis