Re: GOK Information and or Help call idea

2002-08-29 Bryan Campbell
>> HI. Upon reading GOK wont trap any keys as the onscreen keyboard meant to
>> pass keystrokes to other programs I thought, what if I want to see Help or
>> configure it? that is a real matter to me being local to the developers I
>> might be early tester. My idea is that GOK show help if F1 is typed 3 times
>> in a row. that makes it similar to how Sticky keys is toggled On Off by
>> typing Shift 5 times in a row. It needs 5 pushes since 2 pushes of Shift
>> (other modifiers also) locks them On till 1 more push turns it Off so 3
>> taps could produce an unwanted change. With GOK 3 taps of F1 should be
>> unique enough to call Help, and that screen could have a configure option.
>> Or typing F2 3 times in a row could call only configure (hope this shows
>> I'm not lock on 1 key commands [grin]). Using just F1 should do if the
>> resulting screen is named "GOK Details" maybe not Help

10:46 AM 03/09/02 -0400 Luis Villa <louie ximian com>
>the problem with using something like this for help is that it is
>unlikely that anyone who knows about this is going to need help. :)

Noted above Sticky keys Toggles On/Off by typing Shift 5 times in a row so
if GOK [or its 1st few loads] tells folks using it to get Help by typing F1
3 times in a row it will be known to them. folks using Accessibility items
will need a bit of instruction before being left on their own. Or will note
such things if they enable Accessibility for themselves. the real trouble
is not everyone can reach the physical F1 key

>Certainly, if I hit F1 once, and don't get help, I'm not going to sit
>there repeatedly and hit F1 until something happens

thing is running a GUI for folks with disabilities requires going beyond
the usual approach :) Please see [Linux page not current]
http://www.opera.com/windows/keyboard.html for myriad of 1 key commands
Opera browser has to *enable* me & others http://www.buffnet.net/~billmcm
to Surf! :) Converse MS Internet Explorer disables me because it demands
conformity. I'm on 5 GNOME lists & see huge urge to make things run great.
Opera does fabulously, a dash of flexibility makes any interface terrific
for everyone! Typing the "A" key repeatedly isn't how most folks pick Web
links, but it works for me & folks that like a keyboard interface!

>Given that the main gok screen has a permanently unused 'back' button,
>perhaps that could be changed to a help button?

But suppose on-screen part of gok isn't working the button is no help, gok
builders likely have ideas. & i work the keyboard like a Chess match maybe
i'll get idea :)

Regards,
Bryan Campbell

--> "It has been said the pebbles can't stop the avalanche, guess the
pebbles didn't have access to the Web!"