Re: the keyboard accessibility capplet

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 03:44, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > > How about losing some of the complexity from the dialog so you have
> > > room to spell it out. ;-)
> > which of the complexity.
>
> Anything. My argument is that we have requirement #1: less
> complexity. Something else should give.
>
> The fact that it's hard to choose what needs to give just means UI is
> hard. It doesn't mean we get to avoid choosing.

I think we have already reached at least a relative optimum.

> > - Remove the sliders ?  Seems like a bad idea in that most of us
> >   prefer sliders to spinners.
>
> But almost no one prefers _both_. That's the key point.

Doesn't matter, if both are needed.

> > - Remove the global button ?  See above.
>
> No rationale given so far outweighs the complexity of the overall
> dialog IMO.

Look, it's not a pretty dialog.  But it does what it needs to do, and
nobody is forcing you to use it if you don't need it.

> > Spinners are useful for some users and sliders for others.  This is
> > not a 1 size fits all area.
>
> 1 size works at least adequately for all. 2 sizes at once doesn't make
> sense.

1 size is not adequate for all.  I think you might mean "adequate for
most".  What, should we start shipping only one font?  And maybe
English-only, since most GNOME users can read it somewhat? :-P

> > Seems reasonable.  Do we have consensus on this one ?  If so I'll
> > make the change.  It will involve schema and string changes, so this
> > would be a 2.2 change.

I would want to get more feedback from this from Calum and other a11y
folks (Earl J. for instance) before making any change, this was just my
best suggestion.

But this is the only proposed change so far that doesn't have drawbacks
that are obvious to me.

- Bill