keyboard layout

Hi,

I have the impression that "how do I switch my keyboard layout?" is
kind of a FAQ. Is there something nice we can do to fix this? Perhaps
the bulk of the layout switcher applet should move to
gnome-settings-daemon and there should be a preference for the default
layout on login?

In general it seems like Windows/Mac have more integrated and
easy-to-figure-out input method and international keyboard support.
Is anyone thinking about solving this with some kind of global
solution? (global vs. language-specific, global
vs. only-input-method/only-keyboard etc.)

Should the control panel for this also include the ability to set
default login language (would control the same setting as gdm)?

Havoc