Re: keyboard layout

On Mon, Apr 07, 2003 at 12:53:22AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I have the impression that "how do I switch my keyboard layout?" is
> kind of a FAQ. Is there something nice we can do to fix this? Perhaps
> the bulk of the layout switcher applet should move to
> gnome-settings-daemon and there should be a preference for the default
> layout on login?
>
> In general it seems like Windows/Mac have more integrated and
> easy-to-figure-out input method and international keyboard support.

I don't have access to either a Windows or Mac machine to see what they
do, so what are the scenarios that need to be solved here? The ones I
know of from seeing people work in foreign languages are:

	- How do I set up GNOME to use my keyboard which is a ...
	  (select one from a number of choices)?
	- How do I set up GNOME to use input from input method XYZ (in
	  conjunction with my keyboard)?
	- How do I rebind a particular key on my keyboard (e.g. making a
	  particular key the composition multi-key)?

Are there other cases that need covering?

Malcolm

--
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.