Re: GNOME Development Series Addition

on Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:55:09AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:27:35PM +0100, Matthew Allum wrote:
> > I agree the resolution stuff better belongs in a dialog. Is it harmful
> > for it to be in the applet as well ? Some users may have a need to
> > change there screen resolution quickly - I dunno.
>
> It's only harmful if the applet and the dialog don't set the same
> configuration option in gconf.

right.

> There's in fact a tricky UI issue here. If you have a copy of Red Hat
> 8/9 it might help for visualizing the problem.

I dont at the moment, but I think I get the general gist of the issue.

> You have System Settings->Display - it might seem natural to change
> resolution in there. But that's going to change the global default for
> all users.
>
> So say we add Preferences->Display - ignoring for the moment that we
> *have too damn many control panels again* ;-) - it's probably
> confusing to have two things labeled Display.

How about 'Preferences->Desktop Size' for the randr stuff ?

Note: Im assuming System Settings->Display gives you some sort of
full on XF86Config editor.

> There's no real evidence that users understand the difference between
> System Settings and Preferences and in fact I doubt they do.

Why not 'User Settings' for Preferences ? or 'System Preferences and
User Preferences' ? Its difficult to guage if that makes the two
anymore distinguishable however :\ ...

   -- Matthew