Re: GNOME Development Series Addition

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 21:27, Matthew Allum wrote:
> on Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:55:09AM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> > You have System Settings->Display - it might seem natural to change
> > resolution in there. But that's going to change the global default for
> > all users.
> >
> > So say we add Preferences->Display - ignoring for the moment that we
> > *have too damn many control panels again* ;-) - it's probably
> > confusing to have two things labeled Display.
> >

> How about 'Preferences->Desktop Size' for the randr stuff ?
>
> Note: Im assuming System Settings->Display gives you some sort of
> full on XF86Config editor.

It gives a minimal XF86Config editor. Basically the monitor type,
graphics card, and default resolution.

Because there's only 3 options, the resolution is a big part of that
dialog, so "Desktop Size" doesn't really help the RandR capplet.

> > There's no real evidence that users understand the difference between
> > System Settings and Preferences and in fact I doubt they do.
> >

> Why not 'User Settings' for Preferences ? or 'System Preferences and
> User Preferences' ? Its difficult to guage if that makes the two
> anymore distinguishable however :\ ...

Not really :-)

Computer configuration?
Computer preferences?
Computer settings?

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"If we eventually have the ubercool component system - based on Bonobo, or
something else - then great, we can then proxy it over IIOP, D-BUS, SOAP,
and morse code." -- hp