Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"

> People, I think we're going about this the wrong way. I think there
> doesn't *need* to be a default protocol. People will use IM to chat to
> their friends. Assuming they already have online friends, just let them
> enter their friends' IM IDs in an idiot proof wizard form.
> Then, from the format of the ID's, figure out which IM protocols are
> required and ask the user to fill out the details that are not yet known.

I agree that we need to avoid saying one protocol is default, but I
don't think filling out your buddy list initially would be reasonable,
simply because most protocols automatically get your buddy list from the
server when you log in.  Why put a user through that much stress when
the information is already on the server?

> Perhaps it would even be possible to seek out existing buddy lists on
> readable windows partitions with a `locate` query or something similar.

This may be going a bit too far.  I don't think Gnome applications
should be in the practice of touching data from other operating
systems.  It would really just be a bloat in features.

Yours,
Alan

--
Alan Johnson <alan txtger net>