Re: Proposed CVS changes to gnome-utils

Am Mit, 2003-04-16 um 01.46 schrieb Glynn Foster:
> Hey there,
>
> > When taking a look at the CVS module gnome-utils (HEAD) I found that
> > it's stucture is a bit messy.
> > Here is my proposal to prettify that module:
> > Move these directories' contents, delete old dirs
> >    gcalc => calculator (maybe dropped in favour of gcalctool)
> >    gcharmap => character-map (maybe dropped in favour of gucharmap)
> >    gdictsrc => dictionary
> >    gsearchtool => search-tool
> >    logview => system-log
> > These names are taken from each tool's binary name where the prefix
> > "gnome-" has been dropped. This helps even beginners extremely to keep
> > track of the tools included in this package.
>
> I'm not convinced we really need to go to all this trouble.
I disagree with you.
logview and all the other names are totally misleading, they suggest
that these are the tool's names.
I think it's totally worth the pain - such weird naming conversions
often outlive major revisions.

> I'd prefer
> if people concentrated in rewriting some of the modules. We've got
> pretty successful replacements for gnome-calculator and
> gnome-character-map.
Is there any chance that gucharmap and gcalctool will get part of
gnome-utils? That'd be great, they are far superior to their gnome-utils
counterparts and depend on GNOME libraries - so they're ideal
candidates.

> gnome-search-tool is sweet - we're really just
> looking for 2 more rewrites.....Who's game? :)
Why? I like gnome-dictionary and gnome-system-log :)

regs,
 Chris

--

»Man kann Moral und Ethik nicht mit Technologie regulieren«
  John "Maddog" Hall, Präsident von Linux International