Re: XRandR integration patch

On 17 Apr 2003, Jonathan Blandford wrote:

> Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> writes:
>
> > Here is a first cut at a XRandR integration patch. The UI needs some
> > polish, but it seems to work well. The control-center patch adds a capplet
> > for setting the resolution and refresh rate. The gnome-session patch reads
> > the settings and sets the resolution on login.
>
> I'm not really happy with the UI.  The two option menus are pretty
> sparse -- I'd prefer to see it have a list of available resolutions
> since we have the space.  I also think we should save it as the default
> setting by default.  Or perhaps, first time you change your resolution
> on a different machine we bring up the issue.  This way, the people who
> don't share home directories never have to worry about it.

The problem with lists is that on a multihead machine having several lists
will make the dialog pretty large.

Also, I'm not sure what you're saying about saving by default? The "save
as default" checkbox is checked by default. Are you saying we should
remove the checkbox totally?

We should probably at least move the checkboxes to the main dialog so that
the confirm dialog is less complex.

> Additionally, do we really need the 'confirm in 10 seconds' dialog?  It
> feels somewhat clumsy to me.  How well can X ddc probe monitors these
> days?  Looking around, it seems like XP has this feature, and OS/X seems
> to get away without it.

DDC fails on some TFTs, if you have KVMs, etc. I think we need this. Apple
don't, since they have much much better control over what hardware is
used.

What XP seems to do is ask you one time for each resolution, so that if
you later change back to a previously used resolution you don't get the
dialog. However, this is not really possible for us since the data is
stored per-user and not per-machine.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an immortal misogynist hairdresser on a mission from God. She's a wealthy
green-skinned stripper from a secret island of warrior women. They fight
crime!