Re: Legacy apps and themes

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 05:38:43PM +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> A Qui, 2003-04-24 ās 17:18, Ross Burton escreveu:
> > On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 17:10, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > > I'd love this feature in the settings daemon.  I don't think we need a
> > > UI at all for it.  Rather, I'd like to see it just silently match your
> > > other colors to the current selected theme.
> >
> > The only UI I could possibly think of for this would be the font to use,
> > but I think leaving it as a GConf key is perfectly acceptable.
>
>   I use GNU Emacs with the traditional darkslategray/wheat color scheme,
> and I don't want to see it changed in any circunstance.  It follows that
> we want to be able to limit the effect of grdb to a subset of the
> applications, or disable it altogether.  gconf keys are sufficient,
> however, no UI is necessary.  Just keep a *minimal* set of options for
> power users, please!

I don't think that a hidden gconf key as the only way to disable this is a good
idea (except we start promoting gconf as a configuration utility on it's own;
just as many old style applications have some important options in the ui and
the rest should be tweaked in the conffiles).

I alway hated KDE's feature to change to colors of non KDE/QT apps and diabled
it quickly. Many athena (or whatever) applications look but ugly with the
"wrong" colors. I hope we can find some place one of the capplets (yes, not
their name anymore) to disable it, if consence is that it should go into the
settings daemon. Please.

I think GNOME should intregrate well with the rest of the desktop, but don't
force things to much on the other apps.

I think I don't need to say that settings daemon should be careful not to even
think about doing anything like this if it's running on a KDE or plain WM
desktop. (just imagine KDE and GNOME both fight for the xrdb.)

Martin H.