Re: Legacy apps and themes

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 08:36:00PM +0200, textshell neutronstar dyndns org wrote:
> I alway hated KDE's feature to change to colors of non KDE/QT apps and diabled
> it quickly. Many athena (or whatever) applications look but ugly with the
> "wrong" colors. I hope we can find some place one of the capplets (yes, not
> their name anymore) to disable it, if consence is that it should go into the
> settings daemon. Please.

There are already 4-5 too many control panels again. We should not add
more, especially not for this not-very-useful feature... we need to
merge some of the existing ones.

Someone still has to write the advanced powertweak control panel...
such an easy app to write, and so many people whining about it. You'd
be a hero. ;-)

> I think GNOME should intregrate well with the rest of the desktop, but don't
> force things to much on the other apps.

If the grdb thing often causes breakage or sucks, it should just be
off by default, or not exist.

> I think I don't need to say that settings daemon should be careful not to even
> think about doing anything like this if it's running on a KDE or plain WM
> desktop. (just imagine KDE and GNOME both fight for the xrdb.)

If you start settings daemon under KDE very bad things happen right
now (as part of the old Enlightenment background pixmap protocol it
kills kdestkop, for example). So nothing *new* there at least...

Havoc