Re: call for collaborators: bug isolation via remote program sampling

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 02:58:51PM -0700, Ben Liblit wrote:
> That could certainly be done, with a little work on my end to get our
> instrumentation infrastructure packaged up nicely.  There's still the
> question of how to get people to use it, though.  If each person builds
> their own, I've got quite a marketing challenge to convince each of
> those people to download and use our instrumentor.  With precompiled
> binaries, I only need to convince one person to use our system (plus an
> explicit opt-in dialog for end users).

What makes sense to me is to have our build scripts (garnome, jhbuild)
make it very simple to build instrumented and opt-in.

For example, if you right now type "jhbuild build" to build all of
GNOME, we could let you type "jhbuild build --with-analysis-reporting"
and then advertise that in the beta announcements and ask people to
please participate.

If it was that easy, I'm pretty sure you'd get quite a bit of data.

Havoc