Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 13:38, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 06:21:57PM +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> > I'd really hate to ship gnome 2.4 with gnopernicus and gok but with an
> > inaccessible browser, when a browser that works with gnome accessibility
> > is available from elsewhere :-/
>
> Mozilla has been explicitly dead-ended with no future maintenance.

Whoa.  They are just reorganizing the structure/code - they aren't
killing the whole project.  I imagine running "mozilla" from the command
line will keep on working - just with a more improved UI, and a greatly
reworked underlying structure.

Mozilla isn't dead.  Just the current incarnation of the browser
(Seamonkey).  Heck, even that isn't dead, 1.4 will come out and will
have maintenance until Mozilla 1.5/2.0 is out.

(Note: I agree with shipping Epiphany; just stating that Mozilla is
dead/dying is wrong.)

> One argument I do have some sympathy for is that perhaps Evolution and
> Epiphany should not be in the base desktop release but rather in some
> sort of higher-layer release, but I do think we should release them as
> "part of GNOME" in some way, and I don't think putting them in base
> desktop is out of the question.

I've had some ideas on Evolution integration, but haven't gotten around
to formalizing them nicely.

A quick sum-up, tho, it might be great to come up with a standard set of
interfaces for e-mail/addressbook/tasks/web-browsing/etc. that apps can
use to initiate these tasks.  Bonobo controls or whatnot.  Then you can
plug in whatever app fits your needs, or even mix-n-match components;
use Balsa for launching e-mail composition from mailto: links in
browsers, but use the Evo address book in Balsa.  And so on.

Apps needs browsers would have a lot more control, too.  This "run the
command 'epiphany %s'" is awful.  A component that can be used to open
and perform basic control on browser windows would be superior.  If
necessary, a basic component that wraps moz-remote or whatever could be
used.  A real GNOME browser (Epiphany/Galeon) could more fully support
them.

Wrap those components in a command line tool, and then admins can have
some excellent flexibility/power in their scripts.  ^,^

Definitely _not_ 2.4 material at all, tho.  I need to get around to
writing up this proposal/idea properly to get real feedback/discussion
on it...