Re: [2.4 PDF Problems]

Martin Kretzschmar <m_kretzschmar gmx net> writes:

> I've attached a patch to the bug which implements printing for gpdf
> HEAD. The implementation is the same as in Xpdf, but with a gnome print
> dialog. The print progress dialog is not yet implemented, but the glade
> file is attached to the bug. (Printing the 1100 pages PDF spec to a file
> takes 2 minutes on my box, that makes the progress dialog necessary).
>
> I would like to get approval for the print feature.

I tried to test your patch but it didn't build.  I noted so in the bug
report.

[ I too, would like to see this go in.  I got a complaint from a user
  here today about not being able to print a pdf in ggv using 2.2.  She
  prints lots of pdf files and was getting frustrated with gs's
  limitations.  It is clearly a needed feature. ]

> Changes:
>
> > Adding the print feature would add (ui-wise) a menu item, the stock
> > gnome print dialog, and a custom progress dialog with new strings for
> > the progress dialog and error messages.
>
> Codewise that patch bumps the requirements from libgnomeprint 2.2 to
> libgnomeprint 2.3.0 (needs new function introduced in February). It
> wasn't clear to me yesterday that GNOME 2.4 might ship with
> libgnomeprint 2.2.

Gosh, this is a bit of a mess.  There's only been two releases of
libgnomeprint since February, and neither of them appear to be based on
HEAD.  As Frederic pointed out yesterday, I have no idea which one we're
shipping for 2.4.  I can't say I'm happy at all with the thought of
using 2.3.0 given that it hasn't even been released yet, though it looks
like Ximian has a random 2.3.0 tarball that they got from somewhere.  I
suppose it's gotten some testing through XD2 and jhbuild, but, um,
what's the deal here?

Chema?  What are you planning?  We need to get an answer RSN.

-Jonathan