Re: GNOME ABI review

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 03:49, Christophe Fergeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > ===
> > Third, how would we deploy ABI fixes without breaking the ABI?
> >
> > I believe we would do it as follows:
> >
> >  - introduce fixed ABIs in parallel, keeping current ABI working

<snip discussion of API/ABI issues in mime system, which are shared
elsewhere>

> Any thoughts how this could be handled?

<devil's advocate>
Is it time to admit that GNOME 2.8 should be GNOME 3 and break binary
compat for a slew of new/improved developer APIs? Continued indefinite
support of APIs we know to be badly broken is not really a great idea,
assuming that when we do break compat we do it with very good new APIs
(which is currently far from guaranteed, of course.)
</>

Luis