Re: GNOME ABI review

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 09:42:10AM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> <devil's advocate>
> Is it time to admit that GNOME 2.8 should be GNOME 3 and break binary
> compat for a slew of new/improved developer APIs? Continued indefinite
> support of APIs we know to be badly broken is not really a great idea,
> assuming that when we do break compat we do it with very good new APIs
> (which is currently far from guaranteed, of course.)
> </>

Maybe, _if_ we already had all the new ABIs in place, and just went
GNOME 3 in order to stop shipping the deprecated ones.  All the work
should still be done incrementally in 2.x releases, though...
you also don't want to go GNOME 3 until the code in the desktop itself
has been ported off the deprecated APIs.

Havoc