Re: [Requests]Gnome Terminal

On Friday 15 August 2003 21:36, Spoonman wrote:
> 1. I am a gnome terminal user basically, whenever I have to do some perl
>    scripts or check mail i open a terminal window.
>    I use xterm for everything else.
>    WHY?
>    Gnome Terminal has an extremely heavy footprint I dont know why?
>    PID  USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  Command
>    2053 pankaj    12   0 11752  11m 7664 S 15.5  5.2   1:15.11 gnome-ter

Never trust the memory reported by various tools.
While you may think gnome-terminal uses a lot of memory (because of the
number), it actually does not. The reported memory usage includes shared
memory (like libraries, which are also used by other apps), caches and
buffers, etc. The actual memory usage is lower than the reported memory
usage.
Watching an app's memory usage is useless. If your system still feels fast
after gnome-terminal has loaded, then where's the problem?

> 2. I like the nifty feature in konsole that you can open multiple
>    tabs and shift between them using [shift] arrow keys; very nice!
>    I hope gnome terminal will sport them in the near future. The present
>    tabs are ok too but its the keyboard shortcuts that really matter.
>    {did not find anything on shortcuts in the help}

Ctrl+PageUp
Ctrl+PageDown

You can also change the menu shortcuts, but you need to enable a hidden config
first. Open gconf-editor and enable
/desktop/gnome/interface/can_change_accels
(You have to restart gnome-terminal too, I'm not sure)
Then in gnome-terminal, create a few terminal tabs (to enable the
Previous/Next tab menu items). Click on the Go menu, put your mouse pointer
on the Previous/Next Tab menu items, and hit Shift+Left/Right Arrow. Your
menu item accelerator is now changed.

> 3. The thing that bugs me the most about gnome-terminal is that links
>    {http://www.thisisalink.com} can be clicked but it sports only open
>    link which is pretty useless because it tries to open some
>    "hard-corded" browser that dsnt work for me I use Galeon.

Applications->Desktop Preferences->Advanced->Preferred Applications
Set Galeon as your default web browser.