proto minutes: 2003-08-27

Minutes for GNOME release team meeting 2003-08-27

Present:                        Apologies:

Jeff Waugh (Chairing)         Andrew Sobala
Jonathan Blandford	      Kjartan Maraas
Frederic Crozat
Murray Cumming (Minutes)
Luis Villa
Mark McLoughlin

Special Guest Star: John Fleck

Actions:

  NEW: Fred to send Jeff/world some patches that help with building
GnomeMeeting dependencies.

  NEW: Jeff to send XSLT to John Fleck.

  NEW: Jeff to email maintainers for thank you lists for release notes.

  NEW: Jonathan to mail maintainers for 2.6/roadmap plans.
       -> Jonathan sent a first draft after the meeting.

  NEW: Luis will mail first draft of roadmap to advisory board/release-team,
will combine with
       Jonathan's results to produce final draft.
       -> Luis sent first draft after the meeting.

  NEW: Jonathan to tell us when first gtk+ 2.3 tarball will be released.
       -> After the meeting, Jonathan discovered, from Owen, that he is
waiting for the Combo and
      the FileSelector to land properly before releasing first tarballs.

  NEW: Jonathan to get some new file selector screenshots, so we don't have
to wair for the tarballs.

  NEW: Everyone to think about replacement for Murray for 2.6 phase.

Decisions and discussion:

  * Beta 2 release

  Pretty much ready to go. We all have difficulties building gnome-meeting.
Fred has some patches for building openh323
  and friends.
  There is some runtime missing symbols problem with pango, that's fixed in
cvs. Hopefully we will get a new release
  soon. (Owen did this today.)

  * Release Notes:

  John Fleck is working on them in CVS. The release-team members will start
to check them and fix stuff in place. John
  will try to have a first draft available at the weekend.

  Should we mention future plans? The file selector should probably be
mentioned. We should mention the roadmap that
  should be out soon (see below), but probably not in time for 2.4.0.

  Screenshots? Jeff should have time to do these. We need to check the
documentation project's standards for
  screenshots.

  External dependencies: John wants us to check these.

  Jeff will send John some new XSLT from the website that we can use to
generate suitable HTML from the release notes
  DocBook.

  Jeff will email maintainers for lists of people to give special thank yous
to in the release notes.

  It looks like distros will ship 2.4 soon. We can mention Redhat and
Mandrake.

  * Roadmap - 2.6 and beyond:

  Jonathan will sent a roadmap questionnaire to gnome hackers, so that
maintainers can say what plans they have for 2.6
  and the future.

  Luis will send a new draft of the roadmap. This might wait for Jonathan's
questionnaire results. The current
  draft is based completely on already-public information (such as Havoc's
API email), but needs refinement and further
  details that only a more public discussion can provide.

  Some discussion of file selector. It seems to be happening finally.
Jonathan will find out when the first GTK+ 2.3
  tarballs will be released. In the meantime, he will try to publish
screenshots, so that UI people (rather than API
  people) can start discussing UI.

  * Bugs Status

  We looked at Andrew's list - The proxy bug was solved today. Jonathan
thinks the theme control panel crash might be
  fixed already. Luis marked the (old) Nautilus startup crash as a duplicate
of something that's fixed in GTK+ recently.

  Jonathan says there are build problems with the new gcc 3.3, but that's
not a big deal. People don't build from source.
  Later, Fred said that everything builds with gcc 3.3, so the problems, if
any, are probably minor.

  gpdf can not print. The patch should be ready and safe for 2.4.1. It has
had lots of discussion on the release-team
  list, with the maintainers.

  After the meeting, Andrew said that, though he hasn't done as much
investigation as he would like, he is generally
  confident about the bug-status of GNOME 2.4.

  * Need a new release-team member

  Murray wants to take a break. We need someone new after 2.4.0.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com