Known Applications question

I was wondering where Gnome gets it's list of Known Applications from? I see that last year the panel run dialog was enhanced to always show this, however in the environment which I administer, we would like to either remove this function or control what is in the known applications drop down list box. I understand that to remove the known applications from the run menu, I would have to modify the source code and recompile. I would rather not do that so I am interested in controlling what is on the drop down list box. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
--

Janyne Kizer
Systems Programmer Administrator