Re: You are missing the point

Damien,
thank you for the clarification.
My point on the article was that I am looking for an IM app that can
interoperated with Windows IM solutions in the video area as well as in the
text chat area. My suggestion was that if this can come true by using your
engine inside another app (e.g. Gaim), I am all for it. But if you can
integrate GM into Gaim (or the other way around), even better. That was my
point, even if it might not have come out very clear. There was no "FUD"
going on, you seem to over-analyze some things.

My article was simply a wish list. As a PC user I have simple wishes or
needs, but VoIP is not one of them. However, video chatting with my brother
in Greece, whom I love dearly and I don't get the chance to see him much, is
what I need. Most Greeks don't have the money to buy Macs (too expensive
over there) and so iChat and iSight are out of the question (plus it
requires stupid amounts of bandwidth that the greek
"high-speed-only-in-name" Internet simply can't serve well). He uses MSN
Messenger with a $30 USB camera in an old K6 laptop I gave him last year,
still running Win98SE (Linux w/ Gnome2 would be too slow on that machine,
plus he doesn't have a clue how to use Linux). Most people are still on
Windows with Win98 or ME. As Gnome is a desktop system, I need
interoperation with these system. GM might be great for VoIP, but in my case
(and I guess for a lot of other people who live abroad and are far away from
friends and family), it is mostly useless.

Please note, I am not trying to slap your project or any other project
(well, maybe just Glade which I really don't like ;-). GM *is* one of the
best X applications out there, I was clear about this on my first review of
GM last week. GM is really well done, and congratulations for this. But
speaking personally, as a Gnome user, it just doesn't do what I need it to
do. It does well other things (e.g. VoIP, Linux user video chatting), but
not what I need it to do (MSN, iChat and maybe Y! video interoperation). And
hence my "wish" on that article. You don't have to take it to heart. It was
a personal wish list, not an attack to anyone. Everyone's got their little
wishes when using software, ranging from useless little things like color
preferences to major feature requests. I am no exception.

Best regards,
Eugenia

ps. On a related note, I replied to Ross on his reply to my article on his
blog:
http://www.burtonini.com/cgi/pyblosxom.cgi/computers/gnome-wishlist-pah-20031210
It should clear up some misconceptions readers have regarding this article
of mine.