Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: You are missing the point

Ugh, the problem is this, your analysis is just completely incorrect
even this response doesn't get it.

GnomeMeeting is like a regular telephone except that instead of dialing
a phone number you dial an IP. That is how GnomeMeeting works, it uses
Openh323 to provide Voice Over Internet Protocol capability.

With this it also allows you to transfer audio AND video which your
current phone isn't able to do. That's GnomeMeeting in a nut shell and I
plan to take the time to explore all the different ways one can use it
and then document them. As of right now there are people using
GnomeMeeting to make long distance calls, dialing normal telephones,
conferencing, p2p chatting etc etc.

What you are looking for is integration with incompatible, proprietary
protocols that no one knows anything about and no one cares to know
about as they're proprietary. This is opensource, it would be idiotic to
base future communications on a proprietary protocol which is what
Yahoo, Aol, iChat, Messenger, Skype do. It prevents people from
communicating and talking to one another, such as you're experiencing
right now with your brother.

When you pick up the telephone you hear a dialtone, it works like that
mostly everywhere in the world. It's simple, GnomeMeeting is that phone,
GnomeMeeting is that dialtone and when you press those numbers
GnomeMeeting is the software that will allow communication with the
party you are trying to reach. So long as there is a phone at the other
end you don't have to worry about anything else.

I don't think anyone involved with GnomeMeeting would want to involve
themselves with barring you from communication with your brother such as
Messenger has. It's a sad state of affair but to compromise the future
of communication to try and work with some proprietary protocol isn't on
the top of anyones list.

As for integration, there are several ways to get GnomeMeeting to work
with gaim but you still won't be able to call your brother until he gets
an h323 compliant phone. You can't just rip out the GnomeMeeting engine
and get it working with proprietary protocols and personally I'm sick of
people trying to control when, who and how I'll communicate with
someone. However, you're free to try.

As for you finding it useless; It's not anyone's fault you aren't
thinking creatively enough to find other uses. You just don't see the
uses for GnomeMeeting now because the VoIP market is still young I
guess, or, it hasn't been marketed and shrink wrapped but you will and
when you do. GnomeMeeting will be there.