Re: [GnomeMeeting-devel-list] Re: You are missing the point

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Christopher Warner wrote:
> Ugh, the problem is this, your analysis is just completely incorrect
<samurai-babble-chop />
> when you do. GnomeMeeting will be there.

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt here.  I will assume that
you are a little more insightful than your response suggests and that this
is tangent based on a simple misunderstanding.

At the core of Eugenia's statements, articles, comments is a need for an
integrated way for people using a comprehensive instant messenger (like
Gaim) to seemlessly and easily initiate a video addition to that
conversation with friends who might be using MSN/iChat/etc.  She wants this
because it is handy and works well.  I have used this in MSN and when in a
chat seesion, all I have to do is click "Video" and it expands the window
with a video widget and connects.  The other user is now able to see me.
They are able to do the same, provided they have a camera.  It doesn't
involve leaving the conversation or launching another window.  It's
inclusive so you can see the other person and chat with or talk to them in
one window.  The need for such an application exists and would be welcomed.

What Eugenia suggests is not merely a combining of the Gaim & GnomeMeeting
codebases.  That would not make any sense and she clearly understands that.
What she does suggest is bringing parts from one (best candidate is
GnomeMeeting) into the other (the natural IM solution, Gaim).  A lot of
great work has gone into each application and could possibly be used to
implement what she desires.  What she sees as a possible shortening of the
distance to that end is code reuse.  If there are parts of the UI or the way
the video is delivered to the screen in GnomeMeeting that would be helpful,
they should be considered and maybe used.  If the protocols are
incompatible, which they are, you don't use that part of the code.

> All of what you just said negates the idea of free software.
> It negates this "community" that believes in free software.

Nothing about what she has said or in what she desires "negates" anything,
as you suggest.  Where do you come up with that nonsense?  A desire to see
interoperability with proprietary protocols/clients is not unreasonable.  If
you really think that, take it to the samba lists.  You also say, "I'm now
telling you that your idea is not feasible".  I am glad you understand that
and are letting the whole list know it - you should call Microsoft and Apple
and clue them in, too.

You are flaming away without valid cause and have gone off on someone who is
attempting to acheive the same as the bounties that Novell are offering -
attempt to inspire people to be creative and provide comprehensive solutions
in a great desktop environment.  Your arguments on this matter are foolish.
You are justifying an indefensible attack on her by claiming to defend the
work that Damian and others have done.  She is not attacking them or anyone
else - why are you?  I will state this as clearly as I can - this is not
about VoIP, it is about video chatting, code reuse and providing for the
users needs.

Good night,

Erick Woods