Re: [hxplay] Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 14:36, Ryan Gammon wrote:

> Here's my thinking: Let's say I am a random developer, new to gtk,
> gnome, and unix in general, but handy with a C compiler.
>
> I have written a cool application, and I want to add a short help
> presentation to it using something like SMIL [1], because I think it
> will make my app easier to use. I need a video widget.
>
> My first instinct is going to be to check out gtk.org for anything
> video-related in the gtk documentation.
>
> Two things can happen at this point:
>
> 1. Gtk has a documentation page with a gtk-prefixed interface for a
> basic video widget, and a list of links to engines that implement that
> interface, and maybe a "which engine is right for me" document.
>
> 2. The potential developer finds nothing on gtk.org, and is faced with
> going off into the wilds of the internet in search of helix and bacon.
> He has to find these projects, deduce that they can be used to play
> video, and determine that they both integrate well with gtk.

3. Gtk has a documentation page which points to a NON-gtk-prefixed
interface for a basic video widget.

4. The potential developer looks under "Projects" and finds the existing
entries  gdk-pixbuf loaders for flash (swfdec), or mpeg/avi (GStreamer).

5. The potential developer follows the links to the GNOME project and
finds GStreamer as an existing part of the desktop platform.

Let's not create a false dichotomy here.  There's no reason why
something outside the gtk_ namespace can't be linked to off the gtk.org
page.

--
Matthew Berg <galt gothpoodle com>