Re: Gtk/Gnome release schedules

<quote who="Michael Meeks">

> 	The most intriguing thing to me about the gtk+ 2.4 plan, is that the
> Gnome release plan is essentially hostage to it.

[snip]

> 	In 'my' ideal world (and of course, it's entirely possible all this has
> been agreed somewhere that I missed already) - the two teams would work
> together as one (hardly tough recognising the huge overlap of
> personell), and would share a commonly agreed process of deadlines, and
> freezes etc.
>
> 	Do people have problems with that ? and/or am I smoking crack from a
> distance ?

At least I think so, yeah. Differing release schedules, for the most part,
don't matter. I've described why they did for 2.0/2.2, and why it's not a
huge concern for 2.4... Why do we have to be tethered to GTK+? We have ABI
guarantees, users can get GTK+-level benefits when they upgrade, hackers can
get their hands on new features when GTK+ is stable and ready.

Why do we need to tether our toolkit to our desktop release? :-)

- Jeff