Re: Gtk/Gnome release schedules

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 09:29:26AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Why do we have to be tethered to GTK+? We have ABI guarantees,
> users can get GTK+-level benefits when they upgrade, hackers can
> get their hands on new features when GTK+ is stable and ready.
>
> Why do we need to tether our toolkit to our desktop release? :-)

There are backwards compatibility guarantees, but you do not get the
gtk+ benefits when you upgrade because the apps are no using any of
the new capabilities.  Having the gnome releases at the same time as
gtk is clearly crack.  Howver, it would be nice to have a similar
periodicity so that we can absorb extensions in the core up into
user space regularly.

If gtk needs longer than 6 months for 2.4 fine, its nice to know
that up front.  Why not make gnome 2.4 a longer cycle to correspond
to the planned 2.4 period.