Compiling and installing third party gnome apps...

Hi

I'm the kind of linux user that always want the newest stuff, or just
want to play around to try new apps. When I compile applications they
end up in the directory /usr/local. This is what's recommended by LSB,
If I remember correct.

The default gnome setup doesn't however pick upp those apps, for it to
do this I had to fiddle around with the bonoboactivation configuration
to make it find applets, and then the vfolder configuration to make it
find the menu-entries.  And since none of this is documented it was
non-trivial to find. And I still haven't been able to make GNOME2 find
the pixmaps, so I still have to make the symlinks by hand.

I think it would be nice if GNOME2 could support apps in /usr/local by
default, it should be covered by the system administrators guide anyway.

//Snaggen